Losing in noob lobby

MH297

Edited 28 July 2017 - 7:05 pm by MH297
This is a bit of a rant.

Ok, I played this age of empires when I was little but almost knew nothing about tactics and strategies and recently I started playing it more seriously.

Anyways, I found voobly, it seemed nice and all and even had mods and multiplayer so I wanted to see how I fare against other players, and I lost. Understandable, but then I noticed something. This is a NOOB lobby, as in people who are still new to the game or are still aren't familiar with the game. And most other lobbies are empty for some reason. The noob lobby is always packed with "noobs".

I would like to play against people my own level or slightly higher and actually enjoy the game instead of getting destroyed one sidedly.

TLDR: The noob lobby isn't for noobs
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 +eric@voobly

Voobly Team

Posted 28 July 2017 - 8:37 pm
You need to have some basics down before you play this game online, otherwise it will be very challenging for you.
Here is a guide that I think can help you =)
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 _Blackmore

Posted 28 July 2017 - 8:50 pm
Keep playing and enjoying the game, you will learn with the time. If you are more enthusiast you can read guides, watch videos and your recs to improve faster ;)

By the way, the new player lobby is meant for new players, but for some reason people that are not new anymore (just low skilled) keep playing there :S
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 MH297

Posted 28 July 2017 - 8:55 pm
Thanks
I have been reading on strategies, but my problem lay in that too much things need my attention i.e I forget to produce villagers or upgrade something or reseed my farms especially when my oppenent is attacking, and when I look at my stats and my opponent's stats, he gathered so much more than me and I have no idea how he manages to gather so much

I always feel he is one step ahead of me
I am trying not to get discouraged too much and play some more but till now, I haven't been able to win for real
Hopefully it gets better
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 MH297

Posted 28 July 2017 - 8:57 pm
I understand that it's probably very hard to force these people to go to other lobbies :(
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 ['RB']nhoobish

Posted 28 July 2017 - 9:10 pm
MH297 wrote:
I understand that it's probably very hard to force these people to go to other lobbies :(

They are being forced by a lobby or a ladder ban.
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 +kwin

Posted 28 July 2017 - 9:15 pm
Hi,

I watched the last game you played, you did some basic things wrong in that game, so it's normal you lost that game...

Watch that youtube video (link in Eric's post), also, I think it's good to watch some records of games, so you can learn how to do the eco best in dark age.

If you are online around European late evening or night time, and If you have TeamSpeak installed, I think I can help you very much in 1 hour practice...

From the moment you can play a decent dark age, you will not loose all games anymore, and you will have also more fun here I guess ;)
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 MH297

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:39 pm
Thank you very much for the feedback
Can you tell me what I did wrong?
Just a few pointers could help me very much =)
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 MH297

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:39 pm
On what basis do they ban people?
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 MH297

Posted 28 July 2017 - 11:41 pm
+kwin wrote:
Hi,

I watched the last game you played, you did some basic things wrong in that game, so it's normal you lost that game...

Watch that youtube video (link in Eric's post), also, I think it's good to watch some records of games, so you can learn how to do the eco best in dark age.

If you are online around European late evening or night time, and If you have TeamSpeak installed, I think I can help you very much in 1 hour practice...

From the moment you can play a decent dark age, you will not loose all games anymore, and you will have also more fun here I guess ;)
Thank you very much for the feedback
Can you tell me what I did wrong?
Just a few pointers could help me very much =)
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 +kwin

Edited 29 July 2017 - 12:21 am by +kwin
Well, what I remember...

I have seen this game:
http://www.voobly.com/match/view/16111709

- Use 6 villagers on 1 sheep, send next sheep much closer to the dead sheep
(you had the next sheep waiting but too far from the villagers, so half of the villagers took your next sheep, the other half took 1 of the other waiting sheeps, this result in less food from sheeps).
- Lure boar with only 1 villager, not all, but I guess you know this, with second boar it was better, maybe it's good for you to take loom first, later, when you have more experience, you can take the boars without loom. Off course, taking loom just before you go up to next age will give you a better eco, but if you loose a villager with each boar you loose more eco...
- You found your 8 sheep quick, but not your 2 boars, use your scout (or sheeps) to explore your resources close to your TC better. You were very lucky you found the second boar because you made a mining camp there.
- If you had done a better scouting, I guess you would have made the lumbercamp more close to your TC, you made your lumbercamp too far away from your TC, that's good if you have no other option, but you had the option to take many wood much closer to your TC.
- In most games, it's best to make first a mill at the berries, you didn't use the berries, you took those deers. In this game, it was not bad, but you used almost all your food villagers for those deers, that's not needed, and when the deers were gone, you made the farms at the mill you had with those deers, it's better to make your first farms close to your TC, there you can protect them better in the TC if needed...
And also, you forgot to eat 1 sheep at the moment you send all those villagers to those deers.
You also had wood enough to make more farms at the moment you send all those villagers to those deers...
- You made a big wall, you used many stone for that wall, and villagers had to build that wall, that's not bad, but if you have a big opening in that wall, the whole wall is useless (unless you can protect that opening with your TC).
- You made barracks, archery and blacksmith, that's good, but the place where you build it was totally wrong, it's better to use those buildings as a part of the wall in dark/feudal, if you had placed those buildings better, maybe your whole wall would have been finished and the enemy could not attack you so fast...
And, the best wall is wood, only siege onagers can destroy wood, but nobody has those in dark/feudal.
- I also remember that you had very much gold that you never used, if you have so much gold, then use it. This is for all resources, use them or they kill you as a rich guy ;)
If you see you have too many goldminers, then take some away and let them do other work.
- Last thing, you didn't had enough army, but with a better dark age, you would have had more resources for more army, you also would have had more time to make more army and upgrades.

Can't say more because then the game was over...

Maybe it seems much to change, but in fact it's not for most things I was saying here...
I also see you have your first win now, congrats ;)
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 _Blackmore

Posted 29 July 2017 - 12:13 am
MH297 wrote:
On what basis do they ban people?

The criteria for banning are as following:

reached the ladder cap of 1400
multiple 13xx accounts in NPL to avoid reaching 1400 rating in NPL
resigning won games to keep your rating low (for us it's PT)
PT in general (ironically with the goal to keep the rating low, which often results, that we then ban the 1400 account as well)
active player on a MS ladder
active player on an old MS ladder (2007 - 2012 ladders)
ban evasion by sharing accounts with other players on Voobly (results into a ban for both players)
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 MH297

Edited 29 July 2017 - 12:43 am by MH297
+kwin wrote:
Well, what I remember...

I have seen this game:
http://www.voobly.com/match/view/16111709

- Use 6 villagers on 1 sheep, send next sheep much closer to the dead sheep
(you had the next sheep waiting but too far from the villagers, so half of the villagers took your next sheep, the other half took 1 of the other waiting sheeps, this result in less food from sheeps).
- Lure boar with only 1 villager, not all, but I guess you know this, with second boar it was better, maybe it's good for you to take loom first, later, when you have more experience, you can take the boars without loom. Off course, taking loom just before you go up to next age will give you a better eco, but if you loose a villager with each boar you loose more eco...
- You found your 8 sheep quick, but not your 2 boars, use your scout (or sheeps) to explore your resources close to your TC better. You were very lucky you found the second boar because you made a mining camp there.
- If you had done a better scouting, I guess you would have made the lumbercamp more close to your TC, you made your lumbercamp too far away from your TC, that's good if you have no other option, but you had the option to take many wood much closer to your TC.
- In most games, it's best to make first a mill at the berries, you didn't use the berries, you took those deers. In this game, it was not bad, but you used almost all your food villagers for those deers, that's not needed, and when the deers were gone, you made the farms at the mill you had with those deers, it's better to make your first farms close to your TC, there you can protect them better in the TC if needed...
And also, you forgot to eat 1 sheep at the moment you send all those villagers to those deers.
You also had wood enough to make more farms at the moment you send all those villagers to those deers...
- You made a big wall, you used many stone for that wall, and villagers had to build that wall, that's not bad, but if you have a big opening in that wall, the whole wall is useless (unless you can protect that opening with your TC).
- You made barracks, archery and blacksmith, that's good, but the place where you build it was totally wrong, it's better to use those buildings as a part of the wall in dark/feudal, if you had placed those buildings better, maybe your whole wall would have been finished and the enemy could not attack you so fast...
And, the best wall is wood, only siege onagers can destroy wood, but nobody has those in dark/feudal.
- I also remember that you had very much gold that you never used, if you have so much gold, then use it. This is for all resources, use them or they kill you as a rich guy ;)
If you see you have too many goldminers, then take some away and let them do other work.
- Last thing, you didn't had enough army, but with a better dark age, you would have had more resources for more army, you also would have had more time to make more army and upgrades.

Can't say more because then the game was over...

Maybe it seems much to change, but in fact it's not for most things I was saying here...
I also see you have your first win now, congrats ;)
Thanks that was helpful

I never really thought of building the barracks to block enemies( or a blacksmith)
I am not really proud of my win because I faced a noob and I just knight rushed him and he lost
And aren't stone walls better than wood walls?

लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 +kwin

Posted 29 July 2017 - 1:04 am
Stone walls are better then palisade walls off course.
But stone walls must be build and that takes time, more time then palisade walls, and, you need to mine the stone too. Villagers who are building walls and villagers who are mining stone are not busy with making food,wood or gold, so you will have less resources for making army.

But the best wall is wood (many trees together)...
Those are free if you are lucky with a good map location...
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 FlandersARG

Posted 29 July 2017 - 2:15 am
Maybe this will help. Although this in Spanish you can translate it into English.
--> [You must login to view link]

लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
[1]23
Displaying 1 - 15 out of 43 posts
फोरम कूदो
1 User(s) are reading this topic (in the past 30 minutes)
0 members, 1 guests

What's popular right now: