Community Forums > Voobly Community > Other Games > Age Of Mythology > Loadscreen freeze when running voobly patch

Loadscreen freeze when running voobly patch

Goll

Edited 8 May 2017 - 10:10 pm by Goll
Every time I come on the voobly client, after playing a few games, a point comes where I can no longer load AOM with voobly patches turned on. It will freeze while loading to the main menu. I can turn off patch and the game will always load fine. Restarting the computer stops the problem again temporarily; I'll be able to run voobly patches for a few games once more.

Also: every time this happens and I check System Resource Monitor, Disk use is maxed at 100%

Current setup/stuff I've tried:

Windows 7 64-bit
-AOM and Voobly in default directories
-Game running with Admin privileges
-My antivirus doesn't block AOM/Voobly
-Windows firewall is off

-I've tried clean installs of AOM and voobly
-Tried clearing C:\Program Files (x86)\Voobly\gamedata folder
-Tried running game in 32-bit and 16-bit with user.cfg file

Anyone have any other ideas for how to fix this?
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 +BlackAdder_

Posted 9 May 2017 - 3:45 pm
Hey,

The load-up slowdown is caused by antivirus/firewall like Windows Defender's Real-time protection attempting to scan the files (as is suggested by your HDD activity), it has been tested and proven - the best course of action is to add an exception for AoM so that it isn't checked by the antivirus when launching - for Windows Defender, you can do it through the following steps:

(I'm not sure if W7 version is the same as the latest on Win10 - [You must login to view link])

1. Right-click Windows Defender in tray and Open
2. Go into Settings and scroll down to Exclusions
3. At the bottom you have Processes -> Exclude .exe, .com or .scr
4. Put in aomxnocd.exe
5. Profit

(For the new version)

1. Right-click Windows Defender in tray and Open
2. Go into Virus & threat protection -> Virus & threat protection settings and scroll down to Exclusions
3. Add or remove exclusions -> Add an exclusion -> Process
4. Put in aomxnocd.exe
5. Profit

If your 3rd-party antivirus/firewall is scanning the files as well, add similar exceptions and it should be fine - depending on how your AV works, it might take a bit of trial and error to put in the correct type of exception, these programs can get tricky :) - simply try to exclude scanning of AoM things.

The reason why restarts might help would be that the computer can slow down in time through running more and more processes, which gets cleaned up by a restart, making the scanning faster.
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 Goll

Posted 17 May 2017 - 2:00 am
Hi,
Thank you for your help!

I gave this a try the first time I got the problem again, and it didn't fix it.

The only antivirus I have running is Windows Security Essentials: on it, I tried excepting the .exe, the whole game folder, .XMR files (which show on resource manager as the ones taking up the disk use), and finally just disabling the antivirus altogether, but still the game froze up.

Is there any other information you can think of for me to provide that might give insight into the problem?
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 +BlackAdder_

Edited 18 May 2017 - 3:32 am by +BlackAdder_
Are you sure you added the correct type of exclusion? There are several types, and it needs to be the type I posted, and also the very exact file name with its extension added.

When you tried disabling the Essentials, did you disable the "Real-time protection"? That's the one that needs to be disabled, and for which the exclusion guide is.

The problem is assuredly caused by some antivirus/firewall/anti-malware software scanning the files, it's been tested and multiple players who tried the exclusion guide have gotten rid of the problem (for example for me it was from about 20-30s without the exclusion into 3s with the exclusion). In case you followed the guide perfectly, isn't there some other program on your computer that might be attempting to somehow interfere? Really, any kind of antivirus/firewall/anti-malware program or a program that might do some part of these things, like some "performance improver" and such. You might not even be aware it's been installed, e.g. McAfee is tied to Flash and can easily get installed by mistake. You should see which program gets active during the launch in the Task Manager (have it display the advanced info).
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 Goll

Posted 18 May 2017 - 7:12 am
Hi Blackadder,

I think I've gotten to the root of my instance of the problem.

First, to quickly answer your questions:
Yes, I'm quite sure I took all the exclusion steps accurately, excluding aomxnocd.exe, and disabling RTP, using all exclusion options available on Security Essentials. And quite sure I have no other antivirus.

I tried all that and when it didn't work, I tried restarting and even this (for the first time) did not work, and so, in search of other variables I could possibly change, I took another look into the /data folder where the files using all the disk space were, and:

What I finally discovered is that the files using the disk space (for example protox.XMR) were permissionless, with a little gold padlock over their icons (no users or even SYSTEM had permissions to access; I don't know how this came to be, if it is caused by Security Essentials or they are made like that by Voobly or what). I tried deleting these 'locked' files and that solved the problem (I think I tried adding permissions to them as a first choice in the past and it was somehow blocked).

Anyway, I might experiment a bit more with it to see if I can more accurately understand it all and post here.

Thanks again for your help!
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 +BlackAdder_

Edited 18 May 2017 - 3:02 pm by +BlackAdder_
Hey,

That's very interesting info, and glad you got your game running fine! :) What did the locks on the files look like, something like this?

I don't have any locked files in my game, so no idea how that could've happened, but my guess would be some mishap during installation - maybe installing just for some users instead of admin on the computer - or from what I have found it could even be some [You must login to view link].

Could you please potentially make a list or a screenshot and highlight which files you had problem with? So that we could help other users as well :)

Thanks!
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 Goll

Edited 23 May 2017 - 10:09 pm by Goll
Yes, those are the same locks.

As for making a list of the locked files, I can't because I forgot their names and they're all deleted now (I reinstalled AOM and Voobly to see if they'd come back and they didn't; not only is the folder lock-free this time, but not all the same files are there).

All I can remember is one was protox.XMR, and at least one other was an XMR file, and I think there were 3 of them in total.
लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
 +BlackAdder_

Posted 24 May 2017 - 4:50 pm
All right, no problem, thanks for the info anyway - it's really curious that the locks did not come on after a reinstall, it probably signals some random mishap with the user accounts, which is good to know that it can also affect the loading times! :)

लिंक | उत्तर | उद्धरण
[1]
Displaying 1 - 8 out of 8 posts
फोरम कूदो
1 User(s) are reading this topic (in the past 30 minutes)
0 members, 1 guests

O que é popular agora:
Os tópicos mais ativos da última semana: