Quote:
How do you choose your first base to burn ? and for the following ones.

SUMMARY :

-Who, what and where is the enemis.
-Number of towers.
-Attack type of tower/armor of your units.
-Enemi already attacking a base (to steal burn or to back him)
-A base not far from my main, to be able to defend.
-Scout next of base you think they are easy to take at start (because of spot location+number of towers).
-Take in consideration your units + open or bottleneck entrance of base.
-Prevent enemis blocking entrance by : lure an attack by another entrance, attract him outside, lame tower/units with catas.

Exception (due to circumstance/scout/quest) :

-With shedders, check the corrupted base location (next of shedders's shop), and if this base is already under attacked without a lot of units, or without tower : you should be able to take advantage because shedders are really strong at start, and burn that base.
Quote:
I think that every players should controle basics to exploit correctly any tips/advice here.

Basics are widened so you might share your knowledge to remind me what I could have forgotten to write. (or if I don't know it ofc xD)

SUMMARY

-scout around your own main, scout mains, scout hots points, scout everywhere xD
-Built supplys, teleporters, black smith, research-center with peons.
-peon, hacolyte, paysan, spirit : they all built the same things but they look likes differents, only towers are different attack type.
-Be aware (like Jean-Claude Van Damn is) about every units armors/attacks types, distance of attack, spell (auto or passive).
-Use hotkeys to make groups of units.
-Use hotkeys for building (tp for example).
-Use mélé units in front and ranged units at the back (the shortest to the highest rang).
-Use hotkeys for passives spell.
-Use auto-spell with right clic (on-off-change spell).
-Use wards (all of them are usefull).
-Use hero spell.
-Aim correctly important units (officer-hero-dragon), and building (towers-base), and enemy's wards.
-Don't write something when you are about to burn/capture a base, you might burn it instead of capture it (if you wanted to). And don't write too much in general when you are fighting, you might lost importants units because of a lack of micro.
-Use mini map for ping and to check every enemys movement (with your scouts).
-Use the small screen (at the right of the mini map) to micro your spell, or to save a unit who is about to die.
-Use various hotkeys (alt or tab etc...) to optimize your fight/movement.
-Use the small sreen at the right to check spells, hero tp, to keep position etc...
-CONTROLE your army.
-Don't be stupid.
Quote:
win/loose a battle doesn't make you win the war, but there is some strategies to manage correctly the victory of your attack, or to minize your loose.

Battles happens usually under a base or very close to it.

How do you organize your attack ftw, and what kind of things you do to prevent a big loss ?

SUMMARY

-Attract the enemy and bring him where you want to fight him, where you will have the advantage, and so to have certain asset for the victory.
-If superiority of meles, rush and surround your enemy.
-If superiority of rangs, block and fight your enemy on a narrow place.
-Use teleporter to "save" your units when you see that battle isn't in your advantage and/or to back because someone is about to attack your main.
-Use units with the maximum of their hp (injured one might not fight or not in front).
-If you are attacking a base, use some mélés to block enemys army, and to be a wall for your rang units, while your ranged units attacking tower. Or simply aim tower.
-Controle your army to prevent a knock down of the situation (use hold, attack, or move in a way suited).
Quote:
We don't have a thread for this yet. Basically, alot of battles come down to who is better micro-err. If you are sooo pro you can win battles even with a massive disadvantage.

Basics:
aim wards
aim heroes
aim dragons
aim weak units
BUT don't target a hero and then leave ur units to run forward and die when he sends his hero back.

Everrryone knows that though...

Heres some other stuff i found pretty helpful. it takes much more effort but makes a massive difference in these pro ffas:

-when you have units with poison attack, try to get each unit to attack a seperate target to get the most out of the poison dps. This is especiallly helpful during very early game. This can mean the difference between starting the game with 200g feed from all the quest battles you've won and starting the game with no units at all.
example:
game has just started, you have 1 dryad from ur spawn, you encounter ur first oponent at a quest, micro that dryad and attack each mercenary once so that as many as possible are getting dmged by poison, you've pretty much won that battle.

-with Karnash hero (mid-late game) use mirror image and keep attacking different targets until you've crippled most of the other players army. This **** is so over powered mid game.

-healing wards..... basically the other player puts down their healing ward. Then you put your healing ward on top of theirs but at the same time you aim it aswell. If you are fast enough the other player won't notice and they will think it is their own ward and won't aim it (until they figure out, but not everyone is clever :D )

-Puuuuuurge, just cus it isn't auto cast doesnt mean you can't use it. spam that **** on the enemy if they got bloodlust etc. OR use it to slow dragons and units so you can aim them. Same with the nets from troll trappers.

-siiiiiege. aim the enemies siege / range units with ur own siege. this pwns them up so badly. especially when theyve chosen to start the game with a siege spawn. xD

-Meatshields... if your melee AND range, but ur primary dps is from a mass of range and your melee are only there as meat shields, at choke points you can make your melee hold position right in front of ur line of range units and let the range units carry on dpsing. A rly good example of this is when you are taking someone's base but if you rush inside with ur mix of range and melee they will most likely surround you and kill your army. However you can hold position and target his buildings / base / units from the entrance. This works for 'range only' aswell, you can burn mains very early in the game by doing this.

-1)fighting > retreating > fighting >retreating. Not sure how to explain it, but when you run back often the other player will follow you but their units will be seperated when they follow you. Thats when you stop and fight again while the oponents army is seperated, once his entire army catches up you run back again and then fight. (mainly a ranged unit tactic).
2)BUT in pro games you will have oponents that do the same thing, you just gotta predict what theyre doing and run foward and as they run forward or vice versa. This tactic reallllly pwns when you have for example, warlocks with stun / trappers with nets. When the oponent retreats you spam nets trapping some units, this will force them to run back and fight so that they dont lose these units. You can run back slightly and repeat the process or fight.
Hard to explain that but early game its kinda game breaking when you kill a big proportion of a player's army this way.

can't think of anything else atm but im sure i will later, ill just make another post or add it in if i do
Quote:
This topic is ment to speak about units and its upgrades/researches once your main have some spawn and that you already burn some bases ( a bit more advanced in game than "first burn" topic, and middle/late game)

How do you choose your units for the win ?
When do you decide to capture a base or to buy a base ?
When do you decide do researche/upgrades ?
With what kind of units do you favor researches more than upgrades ?

As for others sticky topics I'll make a summary of idea/techniques. Lets discuss :)

SUMMARY

-Slow/ high HP melee units (Ents-shifters etc...) --> The moreyour units tend towards it, the faster you should research.
-Massable low hp range units (snipers-berserker etc...) --> The more your units tend towards it, the faster you should upgrade.
-Don't capture a base too early if you are not able to defende it (not enough spawn in your first main or too much enemis main closed to it)
-Capture a base early if you decide to make this base an outpost from where you'll be able to get reinforcement (teleport etc...).
-Capture a base to get various units (differents than your first main) to have another attack / defence type, or a different rang attack (higher / closer rang) or to get spell, or simply cause this base counter most of your enemis units in the current game.
-A buyable base bought or a base captured far from your main favor multiples attack from severals players at same time, it's risky, but you can try if you think you can handle 2v1 or think noone will pay attention of your other main (maybe because noone mained there, or are busy somewhere else in the map.).
-Take in consideration enemis units and their spot location to prepare your army and your type of units( heavy meles or pierce attack, or catapults needed ? etc...)
-Take in consideration your units and your spot location (entrances, bottleneck place, small spot, trees, to prepare your defence.
-Take in consideration hero to choose your units and dragon.
Quote:
I think that after your -camera XXXX or -ally XXXX it is your first choice (if not it should be xD).

How do you choose your main? (with and without ally)
What kind of reasoning do you apply to choose it.

The biggest problem (I think) is that you don't know who maining what and where he is. Which is impossible to know (ofc you can scout somes but not all, or you are the best scouter ever xD). Most of the time, when you are deciding of which base to main, you are also starting to move your start unit to attack somewhere, so hf scouting everybases :)

SUMMARY :

Check your 3 bases and make a fast diagnosis of :
-units you can spawn (various attack type, armor, rang, hp etc...)
-spot location (popular spot, or fortress).
-make a quick thought about what you should do, and what you want to do.
-evaluate danger : close enemy main and if possible what he is spwaning.
-take in consideration your hero, who can favour certain type of unit.
or:
-You have your favorite base (or one of), and whatever can happen, you main it because you like it and you are good with it.
-->sometimes it's better to main something risky just because you know how to play this base.
-->It is also good to know how to play everybases xD
Quote:
Melee units are some of the strongest units in broken alliances, but putting them to good use isn't as easy as people think. Here are some things that I think will be helpful, and feel free to add anything else that I might of missed. When playing melee units, it is better to get at least 1 spawn of some type of range and get a bigger variety of range near the end. Try not to get more than one spawn of the same range unit with the only exception being siege and that should only happen if they have mass range with no melee.

against range

Flanking- Using your units to get behind the enemy will usually force them to use their portals to recall. Most of the time, the units at the back are extremely weak and will die really fast. But even if going against mass snipers, this will cause half of the snipers to start splitting their attacks, making them less effective then all of them slowly taking our your melee from the front with hardly any casualties.

Attacking- Melee are probably some of the most tactical units especially when it involves attacking. Many bases have more then one opening, when attacking another main, they will usually send all their forces to the side that they see has a big army waiting outside. They often leave the other openings wide open, unless they see that you plan to attack from both sides. If it is open rush inside and watch how quickly their units will die

against melee

What to do- When fighting against other melee units, there isn't as many openings. Take into consideration who counters who, and who has stronger melee, and who has stronger range. If they have stronger melee but weaker range, then fight in small openings, and if possible try to get towers to help. against stronger range and weaker melee, try to fight in the open. And if they have stronger units for both definitely need to stay inside your base and take advantage of positioning. But one of the most effective things to do although it won't be so easy is flanking. If they attack your base and you try to flank, there is a chance that they will put their melee to block your flank.

attacking- Look for openings, but if you have the advantage of having siege plus range usually better to attack from one side.

Portals- With melee portals aren't as useful, as long as you got scouts you should be good. The reason being that if you got your units on the move and you notice an army moving towards you, you can use the army that you are moving to move in behind them. When you see a good opportunity you send those troops to flank them. Although portals aren't as useful on melee, you should get at least one just in case. I usually get one so that i can get my dragon involved.

researches, upgrades

With researches and upgrades here are some certain things you should keep in mind
HP- I think this is a must on any unit, I would recommend getting it after a few armor upgrades
attack speed- a must as well, more damage output, and extremely useful with units that have an on hit effect like bash
health regen- I always get this, but some people don't think its useful so up to you to decide
move speed- don't really get it, but could be useful in some situations
range upgrade- not needed, this is meant for having only range since they will get more damage output, you shouldn't have enough range for this to make a difference
city defense and manpower- situational, city defense extremely useful if you are in a bad location.

Upgrades aren't as easy to talk about, armor will keep ur units alive longer, which is usually better. Pay attention to how much the dps increases for your units, and try to decide how much attack upgrades would be ok. Range units should be your main source of damage near the end, but I think one attack upgrade is all you need till you hit about 5 armor upgrades on your melee.

I think that's it, usually near the end you should look for a second main paying attention to different armor types. Getting range and some type of siege will make your forces really effective, so try to include both of those near the end. Also pay attention to what hero you have and how to make the most use out of it. Also try to avoid some of the close range bases like centrax, glentol and the archclerics, most close range units will own melee. dragons are op, so as long as you can keep them alive, always try to get one especially with melee.

[You must login to view link]